Sunday, March 29, 2009

The legend of Ichiro

PRELUDE: YouTube was blocked in China these last few days, otherwise I would've gotten this up sooner.

Recently I've had a chance to re-watch the critical moments of the WBC final between Korea and Japan, and I have to say: like watching soccer on Univision, watching a Japanese broadcast of baseball really adds to the experience, even if you don't know what anyone's saying. Although you could probably guess, after the camera pans out from its besotted slow sweep of Ichiro's face, that the guys in the booth are screaming something to the effect of, "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!"



The seven-and-a-half-minute version of that video is here.

With Ichiro standing on first, a color commentator on a Chinese (probably Taiwan) broadcast said, "Hero. Really nothing else to say. Hero," while the play-by-play man raced over his words to describe what just happened.

And this is the bottom of the 9th, in Chinese:


Finally, the American version (the highlights, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment