Saturday, January 17, 2009

A thunderous new Royals blog

I'm not a literary critic and was never very good in my lit theory classes, but as I understand it, "intentional fallacy" is the bedrock of New Criticism, which more or less was the vogue of mid- to late-20th century literary criticism. I won't bore you with specifics, but it basically means we should evaluate art (or whatever) for the meaning it inspires, as opposed to the meaning the author intended. So, for instance, out goes the significance of Milton declaring within the first 26 lines of Paradise Lost, "I thence / Invoke thy aid to my adventurous song, / That with no middle flight intends to soar / Above th' Aonian mount, while it pursues / Things unattempted yet in prose or rhyme," or Beethoven dedicating his third symphony to the "great man" Napoleon (before crossing out his name). Ambition is out of the question.

So, too, would this fine introduction from our latest Royals blog, Hapless Royals, be shrugged off, or at least analyzed outside of (the yet-nonexistent) context:

Welcome to my new blog. Be warned. I will cuss in just about every sentence. If this offends you, go the fuck away.

This blog will be about the Kansas City Royals, their fans, stupid bloggers, idiot fans, shit I read on other website geared toward the Royals, and whatever crap I feel like posting.

I'll try to post once or twice a week. And I'll start tomorrow off with something I'd like to call: "The internet is ruining the enjoyment of Baseball."

So be it. These are the times we live in. It doesn't matter the bar you set: just whether your jump makes the audience ooh and aah.

POSTSCRIPT: Mike Sweeney was at the Royals Awards Dinner yesterday and received the Mr. Baseball Award, the night's highest honor. He received a standing ovation and choked up in his acceptance speech. Read about it here.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like he's seen what you said...and responded with a post titled "Too bad I'm too stupid to get this". Bloggy war!

    http://haplessroyals.blogspot.com/2009/01/too-bad-im-too-stupid-to-get-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah. Very amused.
    I'm too old for wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No bloggy war. I just thought it was cool someone linked me on the first day I blogged. I have no idea if it was a compliment or critisism, so I just figured I'd link you back, and let people know if by chance it WAS critisism, normally I'm too dumb to know.

    ReplyDelete