Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Blogs of interest: Breaking 100 and 38 Pitches

IDWT would like to welcome back Breaking 100, "a blog dedicated to the Kansas City Royals and their efforts to avoid another 100 loss season in 2007." While never technically defunct, Breaking 100 operates best over the course of a season, where it can monitor the team's daily bottom line progress. Of course, it's crazy to think the Royals won't break 100 this year, but every once in a while check out the bell curve update, which calculates an expected record based on runs scored/runs allowed.

The Royals' projected record right now stands at 162-0.

The site also features a Dayton Moore interview, in which our hero says, "We're probably looking at 3-5 years to be a World Series caliber team."

*
Other Opening Day wrap-up:

-- Curt Schilling might be IDWT's favorite non-Royal. Take his latest blog entry and what he had to say about the first-inning bases loaded walk to Ryan Shealy:

A lengthy AB from Shealy, saw me go to the split 3-2 which he took for ball 4 to walk in a run. I can’t remember if I ever done that? Made a lot of mistakes inside this one AB and it ended up costing us.Overthrowing some balls when I had a chance to end the AB earlier and missing spots too badly to even get him to offer.

To answer his question: August 7, 2005 was the last time, according to some PR man quoted in Poz.

And here's what Schilling said about Gil Meche and Kansas City:

When you are facing a guy like Gil certain things can make it easier or harder. He’ll walk some guys if you give your offense a chance. His stuff is so good that when offenses have to press against him, or their down and need to make something happen, he can eat you up. After the first he settled into a nice groove and executed. He pitched a hell of a game and hats off to the KC fans, this towns always been a great baseball city with great sports fans, pretty sure the day and the standing O will be lifetime memories, just always hope you aren’t the guy on the other side when someone has one of those kinds of days.

-- Especially interesting are the blog comments, like No. 60 (as far down as I cared to read):

Curt-
Can’t beat yourself up too much. Your pitches weren’t falling, the ump was squeezing you, and the Royals weren’t swinging. Mechanics looked good, sounds like the arm feels good, and those are big pluses. I was impressed with the pitches selected by you/Tek. In the 4th, I was calling every one of your pitches, including location, to my friend. Exactly what I would call (I coach j.v. baseball at a high school nearby).

Weren't falling: Yeah, that's the problem.
Ump was squeezing you: But they always do, of course, so, you know...
Royals weren't swinging: I wonder why.
In the 4th, I was calling every one of your pitches: So could the Royals, judging by their three runs that inning.
Exactly what I would call: You coach varsity baseball you say?
J.V.: Oh.

-- Then there's Fire Danny Ainge, who wrote: "Josh Beckett takes the mound Tuesday to pitch against some KC pitcher I really don’t care to learn more about (Sorry KC fans. Ha an oxymoron)"

Hah! har har har!

POSTSCRIPT: I like Bostonians, I really do... except this guy, who I hate.

1 comment:

  1. http://firedannyainge.wordpress.com

    Hi,
    I see you posted my comments on your blog. I just want to point out that I was only kidding in my comments. I was very impressed with KC in the first game and the third game. You have a team of fighters.

    Good luck with the rest of the season.

    ReplyDelete