Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A wistful moment

Cole Hamels, the Phillies' young lefty ace, has the Dodgers by the tail and on the brink of elimination. It's at a time like this I'd like to make an observation.

I don't care how many times I see it, Greg Maddux's strikeout pitch -- you know the one, the two-seamer that cuts into the inside corner of the plate against lefties after getting them to buckle their knees because it starts that in -- is always a thing of beauty to behold, every time. Other pitchers have that sinker, but I'm not sure any use it as well, or have used it as well for so long.

Fox showed a 1987 Cubs team picture with Maddux standing beside Jamie Moyer -- now on the Phillies -- prompting Tim McCarver to say the most poignant thing I've heard him say all series: "Yesterday when we were young."

Indeed.

POSTSCRIPT: Maddux's pitch is much better than this, which was, really, high and outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment