Thursday, September 27, 2007

Clubhouse fun with Sweeney and Bell

The Royals are losing 6-0 in the 6th in Chicago right now, but this from MLB.com brought me a smile:

Mike Sweeney was modeling a catcher's chest protector in the visiting clubhouse on Thursday.

He was spinning tales of his catching exploits and misadventures. It also was a not-so-subtle reminder of his kidding -- we think -- request that he be allowed to catch an inning in the final game of the season on Sunday.

Manager Buddy Bell walked by, shook his head and smiled.

"Oh, I put a smile on your handsome face!" Sweeney chirped.

Then he followed Bell down a hallway and shouted, "Hey, Buddy!" Bell turned, grinned and said, "No!"

Later, however, Bell said that Sweeney will play at first base on Sunday against the Indians. This might or might not be Sweeney's last game for the Royals.

If it is, Sweeney at least will go out with a glove on his hand, not as a DH.


I've said this before and I'll say it again: Mike Sweeney should be re-signed. It is the right thing to do, on multiple levels, and if I were a betting man, I'd say he will be.

POSTSCRIPT: As the fans in Citizens Bank Park go crazy and Brett Myers enters the dugout pumping his fists and looking like he could punch out everyone, thus is the power of his joy -- yes, the Phillies are tied for first place in the NL East (there's a Mets fan sitting in Citizens Bank with a towel over his head, getting taunted mercilessly) -- there's a Mets fan sitting across from me here at MLB.com looking like he wants to quit his job, crawl into a hole and sob till he drowns. I think I'm going to send him an IM right now that says, "Hey, so are the Phillies tied for first place?"

UPDATE: The response (not via AIM, mind you): "I'm seriously going to kill you right now and I'm not kidding. Don't do that."

No comments:

Post a Comment